Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Week 1 // Navigating Genres

            After reading Navigating Genres by Kerry Dirk, it made me realise how often we actually generalize things to calculate a response, but I can definitely identify them now in my everyday life. For example, In the writing it talked about how we use social media to get a response corresponding to the genre on the post we publish. So, when you post a joke, you expect people to respond with "LOL" and "HAHA!" But, for those who have read the paper, I disagree that you can't update your Facebook status with "X has a huge wart on his foot," because obviously, the publisher is expecting people to reply with a genre of responses correlating with that of disgust.
            A part I found really interesting in the writing is when he wrote "...when something new happens that requires a response, someone must create that first response. Then when that situation happens again, another person uses the first response as a basis for the second, and eventually everyone who encounters this situation is basing his/her response on the previous ones, resulting in a new genre." (Dirk, 252) I just thought it was super cool because, to me, it exemplified how we kind of learn and grow based on observed and learned behavior. To try to clarify that, when something new happens and you have to create a response, you will try to think of the most similar situation that occurred in order to create a response most suitable for the situation. So, that's my two cents on the reading.

Good Vibes

1 comment:

  1. Zhane,

    You’ve got a fantastic blog aesthetic. Very, very cool.

    Forever fucked, huh? That’s a great way to put it—sometimes careers/professions (even people) choose *you* more than *you* choose *it*. (I’m using asterisks here b/c there’s not an italics option on Blogger’s commenting feed here.)

    It’s totally fine to disagree with the readings and point out the spots that don’t sit so well with you. I’m not totally sure what you mean about the FB updates, but that’s OK—I’ll be reading/responding to your blogs throughout the semester, so there’ll be plenty of opportunities for me to follow along. Also, like you mentioned, observed/learned behaviors play a HUGE role in how genres are formed, so I’m glad you pointed that out. It’s almost like this: we pick things up as we go throughout life and continue to mold/adapt them in ways that we see best fit. That’s how genres grow.

    Great start. Don’t forget about the other readings for future posts.

    Z, “Good Vibes”

    ReplyDelete