Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Week 5 // Crafting Electronic Messages

           How to start?.. I mean, this reading answered small little questions I had like how formal to be and so forth, but honestly, it kind of felt like they were answering questions as if we've never received or sent an email. I expect nothing more from a text book though so I'll move on.
       
            I've seen these conventions before, from school, work, etc. I know that you should always greet and sign off. Haha, I wonder how long it took that guy in the reading example to realize,"This is how everyone keeps sending me emails… maybe I should do that too.."

            Hmm, I'm struggling to write my blog for this one. It's an email. Pretty easy.

[Insert Greeting Here],

            Here is my formal email, but it's not that formal because, hey, I'm a human not a computer. No one needs an essay over the fact that lunch will be served in the conference room. Being that guy would suck… No one should be that guy. You're probably that guy always sharing and tagging people on crap on Facebook. Anyways, I digress… Here's the information you need from me and stuff. Cool beans. Woah, Don't abuse emailing. Keep your email hygiene up, yo! And don't spam your boss with an annoying group email. No one needs that crap in their lives.


Thanks so much!
Zhane

Zhane A. Ritchie 
Eng 201 Student
Brooks Institute
[Insert Email]
Office: [Insert Number]
Mobile: [Insert Number]


Please correct me if it seems like I'm being cocky, I don't mean to be, but we all have emails, right? It shouldn't be completely new.
I zone out when reading textbooks so I could be missing something crucial, but this is basically what I took away from the reading. I did read the other stuff about IM and Social media, so that was interesting (I guess), but I wasn't sure if we're only suppose to comment on the email part or not, but yeah. There you go.



Good Vibes

3 comments:

  1. You know I never thought I would need to read in book on how to send an email, but then again I am an old fart and have seen some really poorly written emails in my line of work over the years. You would think that these emails would come from uneducated kids still trying to get their education, but in fact these same emails are from working professionals, managers, and even graduates.
    I don't think you are cocky with what you are implying in your response, however I don't believe you have experienced the business world long enough to see bad emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Zhane,

    What you included in your mock/hypothetical email -- especially with regards to the "signature" part at the end -- is unusual. Most folks don't "see" that small, attention-to-detail stuff until it's explicitly pointed out to them. You did, which is great, but I don't think it means the reading/chapter is stupid -- I think it just means that you're just advanced and ahead of the game. And that's great.

    Question, though, to see how ahead you are in practice: do you have this professional "signature" in your email right now? In either your Brooks or personal gmail account?

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really practice it, I don't really send out too many emails. But, If I were emailing my boss or emailing someone for a job, I know how to construct it the right way.

    ReplyDelete